Friday 19 February 2010

Television - The Small Screen (Summative Statement)


Since the start of my time at the RSAMD, my view on television has changed quite significantly. For the most part, my change of feelings towards TV has probably been subconscious and I don't feel as if my view has changed on it. And to be honest, my overall thoughts about television have not changed too much, but the way I look at TV will never be like it used to.

From the start of this module we've learned about people's attitudes to television, why people watch it etc. Obviously there are many reasons why people watch television. However I think the reasons are best summed up in the BBC's mission statement phrase "to inform, educate and entertain." Many people use the TV as a source of knowledge, for example, the news and other current affairs programmes. There are also many educational programmes on TV like documentaries and even things such as cooking programmes which can still be classed as educational. Obviously there are also thousands of programmes out there that are designed for pure entertainment and it can be argued that most people these days are only interested in this latter aspect.

Throughout the module we've also looked at the different varieties of shows from their infancy right up to present day. The origins of the sitcom with I Love Lucy through shows like Porridge and up to contemporary sitcoms like The Inbetweeners. Also other programme genres like cop shows, game shows and reality television.

Overall I think I've changed my view on television, whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know. I certainly view things in a much more critical light now and understand the reasoning behind a lot of different shows that I would never before have questioned. And although I was forced to argue the opposite view during the debate, I definitely feel that television is more than lights and wires in a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment