Tuesday 12 January 2010

Over the Christmas holidays


Although the Christmas holidays often brings to mind "good television", I still found that the majority of the things I watched over the holiday period were DVDs that I got from Santa. After Christmas day, I didn't think I'd got a particularly large amount of DVDs to watch but when I think about it, I did.

True to his word, Santa managed to get me The Godfather box set so I'll no longer have to keep borrowing it from the RSAMD library. So a while after Christmas I decided to watch the first film with my dad who was looking forward to seeing it again after so long. I enjoyed watching it again and it's definitely one of those films that you can enjoy again and again because you notice things that weren't apparent the first time you watched. We watched the second one a few days later, the second time I've seen this as well and I might do a blog about it in the days to come so look forward to that people. I still prefer the first film though, and I've yet to see part three.

Another DVD I got was the second series of Ricky Gervais's Extras. I watched this with my mum and dad within less than a week after Christmas and quite enjoyed it. I think Extras is really funny a lot of the time and Ricky Gervais has done well writing it and all. I also quite like Ricky Gervais but I don't love him. I get the feeling he sometimes thinks he is funnier than he is as was shown with films like The Invention of Lying. Not taking away from Extras though, it is really hilarious at bits. Ricky Gervais is a funny guy and a good comedian but he's not a comedy genious.

Che: A Revolutionary Life part one and part two was another DVD I got although I've not had the chance to watch it yet.

I also got Michael McIntyre's new DVD showing his live standup in Wembley. I decided to watch this on Hogmanay with my mum, dad and cousin and after a couple of beers in my belly, I found myself crying with laughter on a few occasions. After that, the traditional New Year's eve night of TV ensued with an episode of Still Game, sadly not a new one, then Only An Excuse, where Jonathan Watson rips into the year's most interesting/amusing footballing incidents amongst other things. After that you bring in the bells with Jackie Bird, watch Phil and Aly play some Scottish music then who really wants to remember after that.

When I said I didn't think I got a lot of DVDs you can see that from that small list that I didn't get a great amount until you consider the big massive box set of Laurel and Hardy: The Collection that my girlfriend got for me. It contains 21 DVDs so I'll probably be quite a while working my way through them and so far I've watched two and a half. The first disc has one of their features A Chump at Oxford on it which I found myself near enough crying with laughter again to one day, I seem to be doing a lot of that these days ae readers? They also give you the option to watch in black and white or the nice colour restored way but I prefer to watch the classic way.

I also started a book over the holidays but I've not finished it yet however I will blog about it when I do. So that's me described a bit of my viewing from over the Christmas holidays, mainly the stuff I got from Santa. I'll probably remember some great film that I caught on TV that I want to talk about just as I click "Publish Post" but for now, Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment