Wednesday 11 November 2009

Zombieland

I never thought I would be blogging about this. In fact, I never thought I would even be going to see it at all at the cinema, however, one day when myself and some others from the course decided to go and watch a movie the only option that appeared most convenient, that we hadn't seen before or didn't think looked rubbish was Zombieland.

The very title reeks to me of a really badly made movie, full of pointless gore, bereft of any real plot and designed largely for 19-year-old weirdos and zombie lovers. However, after watching this movie I was in fact quite surprised by how I felt about it. If I'm being completely honest I actually quite enjoyed it.

At the start, it was very gory and zombie-ish and I found myself thinking "this really isn't my type of film, it's just going to be zombies jumping out and eating people the whole time without any specific point or story." However, after the initial half hour or so, when it was clear that the USA had been taken over by living corpses and the amount of zombies jumping out and eating people was toned down a bit, I found the story to be quite funny and engaging. Films like this are obviously not meant to have a serious nature and aren't designed to be particularly thought provoking but I still found it entertaining.

Although zombies aren't exactly my idea of great entertainment, when they decided to calm down on the blood and gore scenes the story was quite entertaining. There were a lot of funny parts as well and it was quite an enjoyable journey to follow the two very different characters of the protagonist Columbus and crazy cowboy type guy, Tallahassee. The diverse characters and the amusing situations that seem to arise from a zombie apocalypse did make for an enjoyable movie with many funny scenes.

Zombies, lots and lots of guns, the love interest of a geeky guy and a hot girl and plenty of gore: clearly aimed at the specific demographic of predominantly male, American youths but overall, for what it was, I quite enjoyed Zombieland, however much I expected not to like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment