Wednesday 7 October 2009

The Invention of Lying


After seeing adverts for the film plastered over double decker buses and billboards all over the country, I decided to go and see the Ricky Gervais film, "The Invention of Lying". First and foremost, I expected it to be an amusing watch because of course Ricky Gervais is a funny guy and I've recently been enjoying the first series of his television sitcom "Extras" on DVD. 

However, I was largley quite disappointed with the movie as a whole. Although there were clearly funny parts, they seemed to be concentrated to the start and were not consistent throughout. If I had to count the number of times that I laughed properly during the film it would be a lot less than I was expecting. I feel that Gervais seemed to think that the whole idea of a world where people can only tell the truth was enough to sustain the comedy element throughout when in fact the concept got old within the first ten minutes. 

The plot seemed somewhat disjointed also, and it wasn't clear of the direction that the story was taking on many occasions. There seemed to be different blocks of plot that didn't always fit together smoothly. Clearly, however, there was an important message contained, that people should not judge others by their appearance and instead judge them for their personality and actions. In fact there were some quite emotional moments in the film, which proved that whilst wanting to make a comedy, Gervais was also interested in conveying a deeper message to the audience. Unfortunately, I feel that he got lost somewhere in between and should have concentrated harder on one or the other instead of trying to do both. Overall, I didn't dislike the film but felt it could have been much more engaging, should have been much funnier and generally was not as enjoyable as I was expecting. Sorry Ricky.


No comments:

Post a Comment